[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
AmiExpress.co.uk Forums • View topic - /X slowing down machine

/X slowing down machine

The name says it all!
Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm

• Having a strange problem where whenever files are being uploaded or file checked the Amiga is slowing to a crawl. Be it trying to run another application at the same time, doing a local log in on another node or even another login over telnet, everything is slowed to a crawl.

I.E. if you had one telnet login doing a batch upload You can see everything slow down and things will stop until the upload is finished / next file in the batch is selected. so in between the upload it jumps back into action then slows down again. Internal commands are ok but anything that requires file access scrawls, be it opening a door, a bulletin, a bbsscreen.txt, it all crawls, just the same if you want to do something local like run an app.

This is running on a real amiga, an A4000 with 040 @ 25, 256mb ram, scsi hdd and os 3.9.

Does anyone have any suggestions as this has me scratching my head!
    ordyne

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:10 am

• Troubleshooting steps I would take.
    Do you have a dialup line?

If so, connect to that and upload on that node and then test the speed of file listing on the telnet node.

It does run much slower on WInuae when uploading, but not to the point where it is unusable.
    When I am uploading on one node and I just try to open a folder up on the desktop it is so much slower than usual.

What do you have your telnet nodes set to 19200?
    If you go higher I know you can receive a lot of errors during transfers, I doubt this is causing the slow down issue you are having.

Not sure if you can run your checker door in resident memory to speed things up.

You are running telnetd.device correct?

Let me know what you find out.

Black Beard
    Black Beard

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:08 am

• Thanks for the reply...

Yes im running telnetd.device, ive tried v1.1 and 1.9.
    I don't have a node set up on dial up at the moment although I have a courier ready to go for it.

I have the telnet set and connecting at 19200 but the transfer speeds way exceed that at around 40 to 50 KB/sec, what sort of xfer speeds are you seeing?
    This was a telnet upload over my LAN from PC to amiga using Zoc term.

I've got another amiga 4000 with a copy of the bbs on it and I'm seeing similar problems on that, its not quite as bad but the xfer doesn't get that high. I presume that is purely as that has an xsurf card in opposed to an Xsurf 100, im wondering if that is causing problems as its hammering the CPU so much at those speeds?

Ordyne
    ordyne

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:03 pm

• I did a test running 020 cpu and it was able to handle two telnet nodes uploading and it ran ok.
    When I increased it to an 040 and just raised all the memory it ran a lot quicker.
    Your bottleneck might be processor power or memory.
    Do you have the 030 or 040 processor?

How many nodes are you running?
    Black Beard

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:47 pm

• Im running the 040 CPU, 3 nodes but node 0 just for local... Actually its not live yet so all the testing is being done over the lan.

I've got the checker resident, the worst time seems to be when the files actually uploading though.

Ordyne
    ordyne

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:22 am

• I would also try transferring over the internet, your going to see a major slow down in speed and your machine should be able to handle that better.
    Black Beard

Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:33 am

Return to Troubleshooting AmiExpress

Information